Wednesday 8 February 2012

Forgotten Blog

I wonder how many people start a blog and then it's left hanging there in cyberspace all alone with no followers.  Well that has certainly been me but I feel I have valid excuses, here are a few of them.


Sewing, helping others sew, Christmas, the day job, family ill health (we have fallen back in love with the marvellous NHS), grandparent duties, parent duties, general life stuff and a bit of fun too. 


Well I need to get back to blogging, reading others great efforts has made me want to get back to sharing how things are going in the world of Lindy's Loops.  


So how have things been going?  November and December was very busy with Christmas Markets and orders.  I know I need to prepare well in advance for this next year. In these difficult financial times people really are looking for something, different, well made and at a good price. I had my best two months trading ever.  


It's a lovely thought that people were opening up their gifts on Christmas day and they were hand made by me.  I know this went away to be a gift for someone, chosen with care and attention.


And I couldn't make enough of these baskets inspired by the traditional Cretan baskets I saw on my holiday in October.  




I have had lots of requests for bespoke items, alterations and after I made bunting and baskets for my grandson's christening, more orders for some of that.  Look out for some new lines coming in spring for parties, weddings and other celebratory events.


At my craft fairs I try to spend time chatting to people to find out what they like about the things I make and what they would like to see.  A chance conversation has led to me starting one to one tuition for sewing, knitting, crochet and other crafts.  I have been working with one lovely lady since January, I had a plan of what I thought I could teach her in terms of basic skills, zips, following patterns and making adjustments.  Well it has mushroomed, she is full of ideas and projects and is a very keen student.  


It is the most fun thing I have done in years and it is a delight to see someone growing in confidence and ability, within the short space of time she has progressed from simple cushion covers, to cutting patterns for her children and bringing together ideas to adapt patterns to the style of fashions she has spotted in magazines.  We both get twitchy if we can't fit in a sewing lesson!  My business lesson is don't be afraid to follow the opportunities and try out new ideas.  I fear that her husband thinks I have created a monster!  But he too is benefiting from her new found skills with PJs.


I use Folksy as my web shop and I know I have missed opportunities by not having all my goods up on my site.  I discovered I can set my shop to holiday mode so if I am out at a craft fair or market I can close the online shop for the day.  So now it is well stocked please take a look and let me know what you like and what you think you'd like to see more of and what could be better.


My day job is getting smaller, I am really lucky to work for an employer who needs to shrink its workforce but is looking for new and innovative ways to do that. No mass redundancies around here.  They have supported me to develop my business idea and allowed me to reduce my hours as business has picked up.  We both get something from the deal.  Who would have thought that much criticised Local Government was at the forefront of innovative ways to manage your workforce planning!


As a result of the day job getting smaller I get to spend more time with my lovely grandson and he too benefits from Grandma's Crafting skills.  


George's funky PJs

Oh yes and last but not least the dreaded tax return.  I went to a couple of HMRC courses and they made it sound quite straight forward.  If you keep good records it is straightforward, but I wouldn't say the actual return is easy.  I didn't leave it until the last minute and this time round I plan to do it in the summer.  Alternatively get some admin help and in the spirit of supporting small business there is a lovely lady here if you are in the London area who is great with admin and PA type work.  Cath English

Crafting music recommendations that have helped me through the last few months Cats On Fire.   If you get a chance go see them in February here.... London Pop Fest and support small independent music promoters.



1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this Linda. Onwards & upwards for 2012...and thanks for the recommendation! x

    ReplyDelete